When it comes to intimate experiences, it’s crucial to prioritize safety and well-being. This includes consent, communication and the products we use in the bedroom. However, American’s have reported to experience more intimacy in their dreams than in reality and have a tough time communicating what they want in the bedroom – we are in a sex recession people!
Fun fact: desire is known to start in the mind and extend to the body. So the best way to engage in safer, deeper connection for mind blowing sex, is through nontoxic communication. In Tune, a card game designed for couples by Therapist is the latest game to hit the market, bringing couples closer to each other while addressing any challenges that may stand in the way of harmony.
Outside of safer communication, it is also important to shop for safe, nontoxic intimate products that are clean, vaginal-friendly and effective. Unfortunately, many popular sexual wellness products found at your local drug store contain toxic ingredients that can be harmful to the ecosystem of the vagina.
By understanding the potential dangers of toxic ingredients and what to look for when shopping, you can enhance your connection with your mind, body and partner, while prioritizing your sexual health.
Understanding the Vaginal Ecosystem
Before delving into the specifics of nontoxic products, it’s essential to grasp the importance of the vaginal ecosystem. The vagina has a natural balance of bacteria known as the vaginal microbiome, which plays a crucial role in maintaining vaginal health. This delicate balance can be disrupted by toxic ingredients found in some sexual products, leading to irritation, infections, and other complications, which takes you out of the mood and makes your sex life feel unpleasurable.
The Dangers of Toxic Ingredients
Numerous sexual products on the market today contain toxic ingredients that can be harmful to the vagina. For example, certain lubricants may include glycerin, parabens, or propylene glycol, which can disrupt the vaginal pH balance and potentially lead to infections. Similarly, arousal serums might contain menthol, or sugars which can cause irritation and discomfort.
Vibrators, on the other hand, are often made from materials such as jelly rubber or PVC, which can contain phthalates. These chemicals have been linked to hormonal disruption and can be absorbed by the vaginal walls. It’s important to be cautious and mindful of these toxic ingredients to ensure a safer and healthier sexual experience.
- Read ingredient labels: When shopping for sexual products, carefully read the ingredient labels. Look for products that are free from glycerin, parabens, propylene glycol, menthol, phthalates, and other potentially harmful substances. Here is a list of the top ingredients to avoid for your vaginal microbiome.
- Choose natural and organic options: Opt for products made from natural and organic ingredients whenever possible. These products are typically free from synthetic chemicals and are less likely to disrupt the vaginal ecosystem.
- Choose a water-based lubricant: Select water-based lubricants over oil-based or silicone-based ones. Water-based lubricants are generally safer and more compatible with condoms and sex toys. Look for products labeled as “body-safe” or “vagina-friendly.”
- Choose body-safe materials: When choosing a vibrator, prioritize body-safe materials such as medical-grade silicone, stainless steel, or glass. These materials are non-porous, easy to clean, and less likely to harbor bacteria. Here is your guide to choosing the perfect sex toy.
- Look out for pH-balanced products: Look for lubricants or arousal serums that are pH-balanced to match the natural acidity of the vagina. This helps to maintain a healthy vaginal environment and reduces the risk of irritation or infection.
Creating a safer and deeper connection in the bedroom can easily be achieved with these tips. If you are still not sure what products to purchase, Rythm is building the trusted destination for safer intimacy essentials. Doctor-approved and BIPOC founded, Rythm curates and verifies products across supplements, topicals and tools to strengthen your vagina-mind-spirit connection. So tune in to turn on and find your Rythm by following this link.